21 August 2012

1st day of school


So, this is me on my first day of school, which was last Tuesday. I thought I'd take some time to talk about the school I visited in France.

The first class I went to was English and it was completely in English! This was very nice for me because I hadn't seen Maureen or Matt for a while and I got to say whatever I wanted in English-and the teacher made me. I had to repeat some things because they couldn't catch it and the teacher wrote down some of the more "difficult" words I used, like the word "ignorant." 

The next class was like chemistry or something. They all kept telling me that their teacher was crazy. He seemed okay to me. We did paper chromatography, which I had done before but not this way. It was cool that they use the same symbols for elements so I knew that thaey were sticking their hands in Potassium permanganate. Yikes! As far as I know, most permanganates are not to be messed with...I think. We had to wear lab coats but no gloves or goggles. Weird.

Then I went to SVT which is like natural sciences. We talked about the consequences of using fossil fuels and also air cycles/currents. It was so cool. I love biology and I totally understood what the teacher was talking about. Afterwards, we looked at microorganisms under a microscope. Pauline's friend Luca was talking to me when he should have been doing something else and the teacher's like "I can speak English too." Lol. Luca couldn't believe I didn't know a certain band...I don't remember the band now. 

English and SVT were like maybe an hour long and science was double so it was about two hours. Pauline is a "boarder" because she lives kinda far away; so she lives in the dorms at the school. The halls looked just like an older American high school and the classes were about the same. the class size was kinda small and everybody knew everybody else. It was definitely a cool experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment