03 August 2012

The things I ate in France

I realized that I haven't posted much about food, which is like the thing I get asked about most. So, here are pics of all the things I ate in France that I managed to get a pic of.

I ate a vegetarian gyro 
from a vegetarian Greek place near Notre Dame. It's funny. Our Chinese food is like their Greek food. It's everywhere in the city. Oh and say hello to Meghan's foot.

I ate Flam 
which normally has bacon on it, but for us veggies they put a bunch of veggies. Underneath the veggies was a thin flat and crisp flatbread with cream.

I ate pizza
which was a typical lunch for most of the students in Paris. Me and Meghan would share our lunch each day and take turns paying for it. This cost us about 7-8 euros which is about $8-9.

I ate Italian
from the food court in the Louvre. You choose what size of plate and then you get a certain number of items. It was okay and not as good as it looks. Notice the tiny bottle of vinaigrette on the top left. It was so cute!

I ate Nutella and coconut crepes
from many street vendors. It was a cheap and fast snack for anytime.

I ate veggies and rice
from a restaurant near Notre Dame and Eglise St. Severin called Lodies. Very decorative and tasty.

I ate chocolate mousse
at Lodies. Very tasty again.

I ate a cheese sandwich
that we got from a corner store vendor after climbing the Eiffel tower. It also had tomato and lettuce. And Meghan and I split it in half again, but it was so good and simple. We came to realize that simple lunches with a light soda (like Sprite) suited us because it didn't give us a tummy-ache when we started walking again.

I ate goat cheese
from a fromagerie near the Moulin Rouge. It was the first time I sort of had a conversation with someone in French at a store. I shared with everyone at dinner that night. (Not a very good pic though.)

I ate some weird pastry cheese filled type thing
at dinner. Strange but very good and flaky.

I ate veggies, rice and scalloped potatoes
(again), and no, the potatoes do not come in a box. :D

I ate a lollipop
that I got in a chocolate store. Very pretty!

I ate French fast food
which included a Comte cheese sandwich and french fries. So good and so satisfying.

I ate veggies and potatoes
(again). These potatoes were special because they were like the best potatoes ever!

I wish I ate here.

I ate a tomato and mozzarella panini
before walking down the Champs Elysees.

I ate a popsicle
from a store that is strictly for frozen foods.

I ate veggies and potatoes within a crepe 
which was very strange. There were too many mushrooms and the fried egg broke so I didn't really like it.

I ate apple and currant pie
homemade by Madeleine, the sweetest woman in France. This pie was amazing, btw! Best pie ever.

I ate strawberries
picked straight from the garden. I've never had anything so juicy and sweet before. Strawberries here in America will never be the name.

I drank wine.
Actually, I just sipped some at the First Communion party. It tasted like wine here, but then a gain, I'm not a huge fan of alcohol.

I ate potatoes, salad and a box of cheese
called a Boite Chaude. It was pretty good but I just couldn't bring myself to eat the rind of the cheese.

I ate meringue
which I don't really like. It's too sweet and the egg whites just kinda throw me off. The sad part is, it's everywhere in France. This lucky duck belonged to Adelaide.

I ate straight from the garden
which is something i haven't really done before. My grandpa has a garden but I used to be so picky that I didn't like vegetables. But now, I can't get enough of 'em.

I ate little chocolate bullets
on the plane. It was a gift from JJ's sister-in-law I think. Very tasty.

I also ate (but didn't get a picture of) ratatouille, veggie pizza, potato soup, fast food pasta, ice cream, bread*, cheese, salad and mand more things that I can't even remember.

I didn't eat escargot, eclairs^, meat and not a lot more. I really did try to taste almost everything.

* Funny story. Just before writing this, I went to the farmer's market to get some baguettes from La Baguette which is a bakery and cafe that really does have some good french bread. There were some people from France behind me and I got to speak French to them. I told them I spent one week in Paris and two in Besancon with a penpal. They asked about the French bread here and I told them that French bread from the supermarket is not French bread. I was so proud of myself.

^ I didn't even get a picture of the eclairs that we had once for dessert. I had a bad experience after eating a bunch of then once so now I can't even look at them, let alone take a picture of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment