26 June 2013

The Italian Stallion...or whatever a female horse is called

I worked a lot yesterday...and I mean I worked A LOT. By the time I was done spackling a bedroom, I felt like the cobblestone and the cracks in buildings needed some mortar too. Really. That’s how I felt.

Two days ago, Sheila found out I was Italian, and yes, I am Italian. My mother’s father was from Milan, Italy. She said that I’ve always looked European and that maybe that’s why I like Europe so much.

Hmmm. I do really love Europe. I love the people, the atmosphere, the way of life. It all seems so down to earth, which is a cliché phrase that I really do not use all that often. I have been called “down to earth” and it’s a label that I somewhat agree with, so with that in mind, maybe that is why I love Europe. It’s a small part of me, but a part nonetheless, and I guess I feel and embrace it more than others.

Being here the five days that I’ve had has really put a dent in me. I’ve began to think about things in a different light. Maybe I shouldn’t jokingly antagonize people as much as I do. Maybe I should have learned more German before I came, and maybe I learn to be less shy. Now, don’t get me wrong; I don’t want to change myself because of others, but I do want to live in such a way that I don’t regret not doing something because I was too shy. And maybe that’s everyone else’s goal too, but it’s definitely something I’m going to work on while I’m here.

Here’s what I’ve done so far to combat this (please excuse the spelling—it’s easier to say):

I can now order one or two scoops of any flavor of ice cream. (Svei kugel de vanille bitte.)
I can also ask for bread in the bakery. (Fufe normal brochen bitte.)

Well. that’s all I can actually say, but it’s helping my confidence. I also talked to a lady in the airport. It’s nice that I’m actually using what I learned at my Daniels Scholarship program. We had the distinct privilege of listening to a lady named Deborah Fine, who wrote a book called the Art of Small Talk. She was very charismatic and I learned so much from her.

So far today, we went on a 16 km bike ride. It may have been less, but the sign definitely said 7.6 km to Traben-Trarbach when we were in Krov, which is where we stopped to go swimming and get ice cream. We had the pool all to ourselves because everyone else is still in school. I really cannot believe I rode that far. Now, I did have to stop and walk a couple of times (on hills mostly), but as hard as that was for me, I’m pretty proud of myself for going that far.


Well, I have to go and mentally prepare myself for tonight or tomorrow or the next warm day. If it is nice out and the Mosel River clears up and slows down, I told Robert I’d jump off the bridge into the river. Don’t think I’ll do it? Just you wait!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sissy, it sounds like you are having a GREAT time in Germany. I'm so happy to see the girl that you are becoming:) My little sissy is growing up!!! I miss you and love you so much!! And hopefully I will get to see you sometime this summer or at least before you start school. Have fun sissy! And you better jump off that bridge!!! I dare you!!!!:p

    ReplyDelete