21 July 2012

Oh Champs Élysées!

While everyone else went to Giverny to see Monet's gardens, a small group of us went to downtown Paris, right behind the Louvre and split up. I went with Matt and we walked up and down the Champs Élysées,
 pronounced Shawn's Ay-Lee-zay, 
which is the famous street in Paris that connects the Obelisk with the Arc de Triomphe.

This is my tomato and mozzarella panini I got from a street vendor.

This was a car display store type thing. There was a different race car on each floor, but me and Matt were too lazy to walk all the way up. I was also hesitant to take pictures because on the way, a guy outside a Rolex store wouldn't let Matt take pictures of really expensive watches.

We went inside this cool store that had lots of retro toys and stuff. This was a purse that I should have bought. The knobs for the radio even turned. It'd be cool if you could like plug in an MP3 and play music.

This was a Beatles telephone booth inside the same store. 
I think you could listen to music inside of it or something like that.




Not sure why, but there was a flag hanging from the Arch. It wasn't like a holiday or anything and it wasn't hanging on the day we visited it before, but it was cool. Matt really thought it was awesome. It was also pretty cool that it was there because when we visited it before, both of our cameras were dead.


This is the tomb of the unknown soldier of WWI. It says "Ici repose un soldat francais mort pour la patrie. 1914 - 1918" which means "Here lies a French soldier who died for the fatherland. 1914 - 1918." By fatherland, I mean like the homeland sorta.

Jeanne d'Arc


This was a church directly behind the Louvre.



The clouds were really pretty at that time. But an hour earlier, the sky was super cloudy and it was POURING rain. Like, I have never seen so much rain in my life. It started raining on the way to the Champs Élysées and then it poured when we started walking back. We only had one umbrella. My shoes were like puddles and Matt's moccasins were super hot (for his feet) and wet. Then, it was like someone decided to fill up buckets of water and dump them on us. As we were crossing the Place de la Concorde, it was crazy rain. OMG, it was terrible, and we were walking in the middle of a plaza where there are no roofs. Wow, we got so wet. I could literally wring out my hoodie and hair. It was bad, but fun. we got to experience true Paris rain. Cold and all. Ruthless and all.

This was a store we went into after we couldn't find gelato. It is strictly for frozen foods. We got a box of like four popsicles for like 3 Euros. Not bad!

This was my dinner that night. It was like a crepe with vegetables and an egg and some lettuce and potatoes. There were too many mushrooms for me to really enjoy it.

On the way back to the hotel I took a picture of the stadium we passed everyday. The lights looked like the tops of guitars to me.

This was our bathroom in the hotel. There was literally no door for the shower, which is why my clothes got super wet if I left them on the floor. And it was nice that the maid replaced our towels everyday even though we left them hanging up.

The rest of the room was pretty small. There was a desk area, a bench thing and some shelves and a closet. 

Our mattress was pretty much a foam pad with sheets on it on top of a box spring. It wasn't too comfy but I survived. The hotel wasn't technically a hostel because we didn't have like community bathrooms or just bread for breakfast but everything was pretty small and simple. I'd like to stay in a hostel though, and go backpacking all around Europe. Ya know how much fun that would be?

No comments:

Post a Comment