13 July 2012

Pere Lachaise

So, after going through the toughest week ever, I was thinking, and it must be super expensive to buy a plot at Pere Lachaise Cemetery. People are still buried there all the time and I cannot imagine the expenses the families incur. Here's some cool things I saw. Most of the graves I took pictures of were of strangers. Oh, and Pere Lachaise literally translates to "father the chair."

Wouldn't it be weird to live behind a very famous cemetery.


I thought this was very beautiful.






Delphine was some famous lady. I don't know who.


I thought it was cool that these building things were practically chapels.

BEAUTIFUL!


This was a famous writer.





Oscar Wilde's tomb. We couldn't get any closer because there was construction in front of it.

BEAUTIFUL again!


My mom couldn't believe how pretty this was.

These are the Holocaust memorials.





I got a picture of this because Franck said it was rare to hear of a French Communist.

A pretty war memorial/mosaic.

This was a famous French singer.



This is Napoleon Bonaparte's sister and brother-in-law.


Jim Morrison's grave


The tree next to Jim Morrison and the fence were covered with graffiti.

And finally Chopin, the composer.
I really loved how stunning each grave was, and most of the people probably are very unknown-that's the cool thing to think about. It's almost like tombs for unknown soldiers but they were once known and may still be known. Does that make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment