09 July 2012

Questions about my trip

These are some questions that my French teacher, Mrs. Cummings, asked everyone after they got back. I was still in France at the time, so I updated question 3.

1. Which event/place/monument in Paris did you most connect with?  Explain your experiences in detail.

Hmmm…this one is tough. I think the places I most connected with were the churches. This is probably because of my more religious nature. When inside the churches, I couldn’t help but think about what the builders were thinking as they built the church. They were doing everything for God and I love that their passion is represented by the beauty of the church. I also loved seeing the things that no one else sees, like the only house in Paris made of wood and the Marais district. I enjoyed not feeling like a tourist in those places because there were no other tourists there, which made it all more beautiful.

This is an orthodox church I think, right down the street from the Gentilly Metro station, near our hotel. We saw it when we had to walk the length of a metro ride, from Gentilly station to Cite Universitaire station on the first or second day in Paris. There was some sort of technical difficulty with the metro, forcing us to walk. 




Look at the detail in the doorway, amazing!


There are twelve green statues around the bell tower, one for each of the twelve disciples.




The rose window in Notre Dame


I thought these goblin things were cool.


Notre Dame et moi


This was a church down the street from the Louvre and the Centre Pompidou. I don't remember the name.






This was a church next to the Centre Pompidou that doubled as an art museum.


I am with you always. (from the Great Commission, Matthew 28:18-20)




This is the only and the oldest wooden house in Paris, located in the Marais district.






This church was called St. Severin and had lots of really detailed stained glass. 
It was across the street from where we ate dinner one night.






Sacre Coeur




The last two were from St Madeleine church. It was really beautiful.


This was a church behind the Louvre. Sure, the clouds look nice now, but an hour earlier, they showed no mercy to two students walking with one umbrella across the Place de la Concorde.








L'eglise St Laurent and its Franche Comte bell tower (Clocher de Franche Comte), unique to the region of Franche Comte.


Cathedral de Besancon. I found it was very hard to get good picture inside of churches.

The church of Malans and the beautiful hill behind it.

2. What were some of the differences that you noticed between France and the United States?  This could be anything.  Explain in detail.

In Paris, people speak much more quietly than us Americans. However, in the country, people speak a bit louder and say words like Bonjour a bit differently. Also, the French people seem very determined to get where they are going but are comfortable where they are, if that makes sense. It’s sorta like they don’t stop to smell the roses because they are smelling them the whole time. 

3. What was something new that you learned in London?  Explain.

I did not go to London. 
Update: at Heathrow, don't pack your cheese in a way that it looks like explosives. See a previous post for an explanation.

4. What is a saying, a quote, or some piece of information that you will remember from your trip?  An example I will remember is that the French had a saying “Impossible, is not a French word”, which was a piece of information that Valerie our tour guide explained to us.  Try to think of anything that sticks in your mind.  Explain the saying and the reference.
            
So, Meghan and I were walking along, right behind Franck and Christophe, when all of a sudden, Franck puts on a baseball cap. It didn’t have any baseball logos, but it is still a ball cap. I could tell that he and Christophe were laughing about it but no specifics. When we stopped, I asked him, “Do the French play baseball?” He replied, “Absolutely not.” Not sure why, but I will always remember that.


This is me and our guide Franck. He was very smart and I appreciated when he took us to the lesser known parts of Paris and told us little known facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment